In September of 2010, I fell in love with a picture. We've all done that right? Gals, you remember Teen Beat and Bop magazines and how much you looooved (insert teen heartthrob here) and how you knew that if he only met you, he'd know you were the one? Replace Corey Haim with Nadine, a teeny, 8-year-old shih tzu mix with a puppy mill past waiting at Chicago's Anti-Cruelty Society, and you've got this story. Except I didn't want a dog. Didn't need a dog. Perfectly happy in my fur-free house with my fantastic freedom! Until I saw that picture...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wine lifts spirits, if not legs

My parents have a gorgeous home. Really, it's crazy beautiful and reflects their personality and aesthetic. It looks like they had an architect design it for them, but it was 90% finished when they first saw it. It's prairie style (even the house numbers are the Frank Lloyd Wright font) and hidden away in the woods even though they live within the city limits of Grand Rapids. Perfect for them. Not perfect for The Dog Who Pees.

So, when the ACS woman said Nadine wasn't housebroken and I acted like that was not even a blimp on my concerns-radar, I was clearly insane. One of my positive/negative traits is that once I set my mind to something, I do it (unless it's a craft project - those I have unfinished by the sewing basket-full). I had in mind head that I was getting this dog, no matter what. I didn't think much about her having accidents in my house - rugs are easily cleaned, hardwood mopped up - but my parents' house was another story.

I didn't have much time to think about it, or retract my statement, because the next thing I knew the interviewer said, "Ok, everything looks good. We can move forward with the adoption!" Huh? It's only been five minutes? Wait! How can it be this easy? Don't you want to make sure I'm not some crazy dog hoarder or getting her as a bait dog or person from an animal testing lab or something? I'm not prepared!!

I guess they could tell I was within the acceptable bounds of a nut-job, because 15 minutes later I had Nadine in my arms and was picking up food from the ACS store while the front desk women "ohhhed" over Nadine. My theory is that they were just so glad to have found someone to take an older dog with health issues that they weren't about to let me get away by giving me time to think too long about it.  I'm no hero here, but understandably many folks won't adopt an older dog. They generally have more health issues and won't be with you as long, of course. But as if I was going to leave Nadine alone in that cage?!

I packed up my two bags of supplies to get me through the next couple days before dropping the big bucks at PetSmarCoDepot. Paid my bill and walked out with a dog. Just like that Melissa said I would.

Caught a cab home with a shivering dog on my lap. I was expecting her to piddle on me in the cab, which would cause the driver to kick me out on Lake Shore Drive, leaving me with wet pants and standing the side of the highway. Images of adopting a dog usually show a dog more excited than he can stand, licking the skin off his new person, with a tail wagging so hard he could take flight. Nadine couldn't be more opposite. She seemed miserable and so scared. I knew that dogs need time to adjust and that she had had a pretty wild ride the past few weeks. How would I feel if someone made me move homes 3 times in a month? Unstable is an understatement.

I dragged everything inside and sat on the floor of my bedroom with Nadine. She stood shaking for a bit and then walked to the corner and slowly laid down. I put a towel down for her to sleep on, but she ignored it. I put food out, but she ignored it. I laid next to her, but she ignored me. I put some clothes down so she could get used to my smell, and...she ignored them.
 She has almost no fur, poor thing. This southern belle wasn't meant for 50 degree September nights. But with those bows, she's definitely ready for a cotillion!

She also seemed to have a little cold. Not kennel cough, just a running nose. My guess is she was just unsure and sick, therefore really lethargic. After a bit, we went outside to "do her thing" as my mom labeled it. Not a drop. Finally I sat down. And, while staring at Nadine in wonder at my impulsiveness, proceeded to drink a jeroboam of pinot.

No comments:

Post a Comment