In September of 2010, I fell in love with a picture. We've all done that right? Gals, you remember Teen Beat and Bop magazines and how much you looooved (insert teen heartthrob here) and how you knew that if he only met you, he'd know you were the one? Replace Corey Haim with Nadine, a teeny, 8-year-old shih tzu mix with a puppy mill past waiting at Chicago's Anti-Cruelty Society, and you've got this story. Except I didn't want a dog. Didn't need a dog. Perfectly happy in my fur-free house with my fantastic freedom! Until I saw that picture...

Monday, January 17, 2011

The most (un)tragical thing

My mom is reasonably down-to-earth. She is not quite as controlled and logical as my dad and I, but that meant I grew up on Jane Austen and Anne of Green Gables, as well as Star Trek and science projects. She can always be counted on for good advice, unless she’s halfway through a bottle of Columbia Crest.

So I figured calling at 4pm would guarantee a sober and thoughtful reaction to the unlikely and irrational obsessive behavior that I was exhibiting. Apparently the moon was aligned with Saturn in Ophiuchus, because I couldn’t have been more wrong. Mom wasn’t drunk, but once I sent her Nadine’s picture, she might as well have been.

I told her the story of my 4-day watch over Nadine, my wish to simply visit her to see what she was like. I reiterated all of my bullet-proof arguments. I tried to convince my mom to adopt Nadine, so I could be sure she had a good home, but that could only be guaranteed if my dad moved out and I had mixed feelings on whether Nadine was worth going that far. (Jury is still out.) I proposed checking ACS when I got back and, if she was still there, that would be a sign that Nadine was my Corey Haim.

“You HAVE to get this dog!” she said unexpectedly. My arguments were suddenly moot in the face of Nadine’s floppy tongue. When I gave her my Spain argument, the one I deemed most Spock-worthy (that is, logical), her reply was “I’ll drive to Chicago and take her back home while you are on vacation.”

Uh oh. I could feel my comfortable, easy world was about to flip upside-down. Tears were starting to pour down my cheeks as I realized I might be able to get away with this. I could have a dog! 4 days of convincing myself that I was only looking at this dog had, with one sentence, come crashing down like the Tupperware in my cupboards. My excuses about a social life and the evils of 7am walks weren’t going to be enough for me to resist those adorable, brown eyes.

I had one last escape – the ACS interview. Surely they wouldn’t give me a dog. ACS is notoriously tough on adopting pets. I work full-time and can’t afford a dogwalker. No, they won’t let me take her. I’ll be fine. I’ll go see her, say hi, and wish her the best.  Why was I still crying then?

No comments:

Post a Comment